'Younger Japanese have been turning to high-end Western cuisine and fast-food chains. Japan’s annual rice consumption has fallen by 17 percent in the past 15 years. Demand for meat has exceeded that for fish since 2006, according to government figures. Some of the...
Mochi rice cakes and the folklore surrounding its making constitutes the core of New Year’s celebrations in Japan. The status of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity inscribed to washoku in December 2013, clearly specifies that ‘the basic knowledge and the...
UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage has just announced this year’s additions to its Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity. Among the winners is an entry that was submitted by the...
- Een museum vol afval 5/6/2016
- WIRED: The Japanese Barely Eat Whale. So Why Do They Keep Whaling? 7/12/2015
- Japan omarmt jeugdcultuur (Volkskrant, 29 July 2014) 20/8/2014
- “Volgens de NVAO is het niveau van vrijwel alle studies in taal- en letterkunde, regiostudies en archeologie voldoende of goed.” 24/6/2014
- Call for Papers, new journal Global Food History 2/2/2014
- Een papieren tas als statussymbool (Mare, January 2014) 30/1/2014
- The New York Times has something to say about washoku too! 19/1/2014
- Mochitsuki is not for wimps 1/1/2014
- How traditional is ‘traditional’ Japanese cuisine? [⇗] 12/12/2013